The Buttered Home participates in affiliate programs. If you make a purchase through one of my links, we may earn a small commission. Click HERE for more information.
Easy sausage balls are a cinch to make. Spicy ground sausage paired with cheddar cheese, parsley and flour make something as easy to make as it is to eat!
Sausage Balls made with Flour and Spices
Easy Sausage Balls Recipe is a great one to have in your recipe box! There is a rumor going around that sausage balls can only be made with a premix baking mix. It’s little tales like this that give scratch made cooking a bad wrap. Sure you won’t have to mix flour with salt and peppers but the baking mix does very little to help make these gems great.
We find the same myth to be true for making BISCUITS too. Check out that post to see how easy it is to make those without the baking mix!
You can achieve a better result in my opinion by using self rising flour. That puts you in control of your ingredients. Sometimes, what we think is easier isn’t always better. So we are here to squelch the easy myth by way of using flour in our recipe. We intend to show you this way is just as easy and is always better. Let’s get to it!
How to Make Sausage Balls the Easy Way
I am a fan of simple. Sometimes, simple is not taking a short cut. I love shortcuts, don’t get me wrong but for recipes like this one, the easy way puts you in control of what goes in your sausage balls. Here is how we do it!
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 & 1/4 cup of self rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground mild sausage, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (or less)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, room temperature
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. In a medium bowl, mix parsley, flour, salt and peppers.
In a large bowl add, cheddar cheese, sausage and butter. Add dry ingredients and mix with hands just until combined. Pinch off or use a small ice cream scoop to take out portions to roll into 1 inch balls. Roll and place on a baking sheet fitted with a baking rack.
Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown. Cool and serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Tips and Tricks
- Room Temp Ingredients – This is so very important. Sometimes cheese and sausage can be difficult to mix by hand. By allowing these ingredients to come to room temperature, mixing will be easier. Also that little bit of butter also makes mixing a breeze as well.
- Baking Sheet with a Rack – due to the high fat content of these glorious gems, baking them directly on a baking sheet can be messy and sometimes cause them to stick. If you don’t have a rack for your baking sheet, use just a tad of cooking spray to make removal and clean up easier. If you need a baking sheet with a rack (and we all do!) there is a link to a great inexpensive one below.
- Cayenne Pepper – You can use a little or a little more. This ingredient is really optional. Also it is important to note that if you use hot sausage, you may not need as much cayenne pepper. Our measurement is a suggestion for just the right amount of spice to compliment the sausage and cheese.
If you make this recipe, be sure and post it to Facebook or Instagram and tag us. We love pictures of food. Also, if you pin this recipe, we would appreciate that when you make it, you use the Made It function in Pinterest too.
And as always, we would love it if you shared this recipe with your family and friends. Over to the side on this post and all of the others are handy dandy share buttons. We would sure be grateful if you shared the love!
- * 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- * 1 & 1/4 cup of self rising flour
- * 1/2 teaspoon salt
- * 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- * 1 pound ground mild sausage, room temperature
- * 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- * 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (or less)
- * 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. In a medium bowl, mix parsley, flour, salt and peppers.
- In a large bowl add, cheddar cheese, sausage and butter. Add dry ingredients and mix with hands just until combined. Pinch off or use a small ice cream scoop to take out portions to roll into 1 inch balls. Roll and place on a baking sheet fitted with a baking rack.
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown. Cool and serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Amount Per Serving Calories 219Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 47mgSodium 570mgCarbohydrates 3gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 9g
**Nutritional Values are estimates only