Best Tailgate Sausage Dip is easy AND delicious. Sometimes you need something really good, really fast. This is it. Cream cheese, chives and smoky pork sausage. Your tailgate will never be the same!
Personally, I love a good appetizer. Our appetizer section has tons of great ones for you to choose from. REDNECK CAVIAR, PIMENTO CHEESE and some really great SAUSAGE BALLS are just a few I can name off of the top of my head. All are great options!
Sometimes, you just need easy. Something to throw together in a pinch. This Sausage dip is it!
Fall in the South means one thing, FOOTBALL!!! There is nothing better than cheering on your favorite team to victory.
And in the great state of Alabama, you do NOT ride the fence. You must declare an allegiance to The University of Alabama or Auburn University, preferably by the time you are 8 years old. But I digress, as usual, Squirrel!
Tailgating is as big of a deal as the actual game in most instances and that is true in any state, not just Alabama the Beautiful.
As we embark on the Fall season, we will feature some of our most favorite game day, tailgate goodies.
Today, we feature the Best Tailgate Sausage Dip. Dips are a very popular item at tailgates.
They are a hearty finger food that can be eaten on bread slices or your favorite cracker or chip. So on we go!
How to Make It
I love a good dump and go recipe. Literally, all you will have to prep for is chopping a few things and browning your sausage! That is it! I think that is one of the reasons why it tastes so good!!
- 1 pound Italian sausage, browned - the protein that makes this stick to the old ribs!
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened - every good dip needs a little cream cheese!
- 8 oz sour cream - to smooth out the cheeses.
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika - a smoky flavor that accents the sausage.
- 2 tablespoon chopped chives - just a slight onion flavor to really bring out the flavor of the sausage. A good pop of color too!
- ¼ cup chopped onions - for flavor.
- ½ teaspoon sage - sage, I promise, in this recipe, it works!
- salt and pepper to taste - according to your dietary needs or preference.
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese - pretty tasty glue!
- ½ cup cheddar cheese - again, two kinds of this glue helps add depth of flavor!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook and drain the sausage and set aside.
- Mix in a large bowl, the cream cheese, sour cream paprika, onions, sage, salt and pepper. Mix well. Add in about a half a cup of each cheese(more if you like!) and then the sausage. Mix well and pour into a 9 X 9 greased casserole dish or a 9 inch pie plate.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 to 45 minutes until top is bubbly and golden brown. Top with chopped chives. Serve warm or room temp.
Tips and Tricks
The beauty of this recipe is that it is so versatile. You can use ground Italian sausage, ground chicken sausage or even turkey. Truthfully, simple ground breakfast sausage is a great option too.
Easy Peasy. Use low fat cream cheese and sour cream. Ground turkey or chicken sausage and lower fat cheeses. The biggest difference will be made is how you serve it. Serve it with sliced, raw vegetables for the best option for a healthier treat.
Yes, just like all of our recipes, it is easy to double as well as half for a smaller crowd. We like to do this often when we don't need much or double when we are taking to a bigger crowd.
Whether you are tailgating on site, at a friends house or right in the comfort of your own home, this dip will bring home the Dub!
It is fabulous warm right out of the oven but is also good at room temperature too. So no worries if you are tailgating on the road with no way to reheat.
If you make this recipe, be sure and post it to Facebook or Instagram and tag us. We love pictures of food. Also, if you pin this recipe, we would appreciate that when you make it, you use the Made It function in Pinterest too.
And as always, we would love it if you shared this recipe with your family and friends. Over to the side on this post and all of the others are handy dandy share buttons. We would sure be grateful if you shared the love!
Best Tailgate Sausage Dip
- 1 pound Italian Sausage
- 8 oz Cream Cheese
- 8 oz Sour Cream
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 2 tablespoon Chives chopped
- ¼ cup Onion chopped
- ½ teaspoon Dried Sage
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- ½ cup Mozzarella Cheese
- ½ cup Cheddar Cheese
- Cook and drain the sausage and set aside.
- Mix in a large bowl, the cream cheese, sour cream paprika, onions, sage, salt and pepper. Mix well. add in about a half a cup of each cheese(more if you like!) and then the sausage. Mix well and pour into a 9 X 9 greased casserole dish or a 9 inch pie plate.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes until top is bubbly and golden brown. Top with chopped chives. Serve warm or room temp.