Sweet Vidalia Onion dressing is a delicious change up on your average dressing. We take the sweetest onion and mix it up with honey and spicy mustard to make a sweet and spicy dressing experience.
Sweet Vidalia Onion Dressing is a celebration of our sister state, Georgia's most famous produce. These sweet southern onions have proven to be a favorite among many and have found many uses. Here we highlight it in a sweet and tangy dressing.
We love to take a dressing and change it up. Just like for our beautiful BACON CORNBREAD SALAD and our HOMEMADE CHICKEN SALAD, we show you ways to use non traditional things for staple dressings or sauces.
Let's not waste any more of your time, let's show you how to make it!
Simple, staple ingredients for this one. A good blender or an immersion blender is a plus too! You can really get those onions down to that sweet nectar with one.
- 1 Vidalia Onion, peeled and quartered
- Creole mustard or Spicy Brown Mustard
- canola oil
- coarse ground salt and black pepper, to taste
See recipe card for quantities.
Here is where the magic happens!
Place the Onion, Honey and Mustard in a blender or a large bowl that your immersion blender can fit in.
Blend until combined. I use the pulse function for this to help things along slowly. Turning the machine on, I then drizzle the oil in a steady stream until the dressing thickens and is emulsified.
At this point, add in a bit of salt and pepper. Start small and mix to combine. Taste and adjust as necessary.
Hint: If you find yourself in need of a really good blender that can make sauces and soups, we love our VITAMIX. They are so versatile, I even rice cauliflower in mine!
So Much More Than Salad Dressing
I love recipes like this one where what we make is multi-purpose. This is not only a great dressing for salad, you can use it a ton of other ways too!
- Dipping Sauce - This is thick and rich and makes a great dipping sauce for fries or even chicken fingers.
- Marinade- The honey, mustard and the onions pack a ton of flavor and is great to tenderize and marinate almost any cut of meat.
- Vegetable Sauce - Who says cheese should have all of the fun? We love to drizzle this over our veggies like our ROASTED BRUSSEL SPROUTS. Kids of all ages love it!
This dressing will stay good in the refrigerator for up to two weeks! If it lasts that long! We like to keep ours in a good old mason jar. Sometimes when I am setting a fancy table and serve it, I will funnel it into a nice oil decanter.
Tips and Tricks
You could. Most yellow, white and red onions are much hotter and don't possess the natural sweetness of the Vidalia. I am all about experimentation though, so if you do this, let me know how it turns out.
A food processor or an immersion blender will work great. Good cooking tools don't have to cost a lot of money but some specialty items are necessary if you are needing to make recipes like dressings and some sauces and are a great investment.
I like to keep it in a closed mason jar in the refrigerator. It should last about two weeks. Keeping it cold and sitting still, you may need to give it a shake before you use it.
If you make this recipe, be sure and post it to Facebook or Instagram and tag us. We love pictures of food. Also, if you pin this recipe, we would appreciate that when you make it, you use the Made It function in Pinterest too.
Check out this recipe along with many of our others as a WEB STORY! And don't forget to subscribe to our YOUTUBE channel for some great tutorial videos!
And as always, we would love it if you shared this recipe with your family and friends. Over to the side on this post and all of the others are handy dandy share buttons. We would sure be grateful if you shared the love!
- * 1 Vidalia Onion, peeled and quartered
- * 2 Tablespoons Honey
- * 1 Tablespoon Creole mustard or Spicy Brown Mustard
- * ¾ cup canola oil
- * coarse ground salt and black pepper, to taste
- Place onion, honey and mustard in a blender, food processor or large bowl to use immersion blender.
- Pulse until combined.
- Run blender and slowly drizzle in oil until thick and emulsified.
- Season with salt and pepper and taste to adjust. Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 212Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 19gCholesterol 0mgSodium 105mgCarbohydrates 8gFiber 1gSugar 6gProtein 0g
**Nutritional Values are estimates only