Loco Taco Bowl takes all of the things you love about Taco Tuesday and puts it in a fresh, easy to eat bowl. It is so good you won't even miss the shells or tortillas!
It is truly crazy how good this taco bowl is!
Loco Taco Bowls are the best of both taco worlds. Pair with tortillas or hard shells for the taco lover or use to make a taco salad for those who are limiting their carb intake. Taco Salad is one of my personal favorites. My family sure loves all of the carbs that come with Tacos but I am not always a fan. Salads are a good and fresh way to take something you love and make it healthy.
Life with a family is all about balance. Giving them the treats they love is made even better when you can make it a healthy option too. Just like our BANANA ICE CREAM or our OVEN ROASTED OKRA FRIES, this recipe gives you all you need for your healthy substitutions.Taking all of the great things about Tacos and instead of piling the good things up in a flour tortilla or a corn shell, we make the good so big and add a little rice so that those higher carb options are not even missed. Sure you can still do that, but here we will show how to make it great, filling and crazy good!
Make your own Taco Seasoning
Here is a homemade taco seasoning that is super easy to prepare.
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 & ½ teaspoons smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ¼ red pepper flakes (optional)
Mix all together and keep in an airtight container. I typically use about a tablespoon and a half for a pound of meat. Works great and I have all of these spices on hand so no wasted cash on something I can do myself.
How to make your own Taco Bowl
Add meat to a skillet and sprinkle with the seasoning.Cook the ground beef until browned. Drain and set aside.
After the meat is cooked, drain and set aside.
Chop lettuce, tomatoes and green onions and set aside.
Rinse and drain black beans. Set aside.
Easy Taco Salad Dressing
Mix all dry ingredients together and add taco sauce, vinegar, hot sauce and drizzle olive oil in while whisking. Dress your salad with a bit of this for an added kick of flavor.
- ½ cup Taco sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- two good shakes of hot sauce
- ½ cup olive oil
Place all ingredients in a large bowl individually for serving. I like to make a bowl in the bowl with rice and add my ingredients on top. Sprinkle with cheese and add some of this home made dressing. Also optional.
Tips and Tricks
Yes, brown rice is a tad more trouble to cook but it is the healthier option. If healthier is what you are going for, this is the best way to get the healthier starch.
Yes. When you brown the beef or turkey it will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. The veggies are good to prep ahead of time too for a quick supper.
Ground turkey or ground chicken are great here. The taco seasoning will mask any flavors they may naturally have. For meatless options, use another type of bean in place of the meat or one of the new beyond beef options that are easily found at your grocer.
Healthy salad options are one of our favorite things here at The Buttered Home. We hope you will enjoy this one!
If you make this recipe, be sure and post it to Facebook or Instagram and tag us. We love pictures of food. Also, if you pin this recipe, we would appreciate that when you make it, you use the Made It function in Pinterest too.
Check out this recipe along with many of our others as a WEB STORY!
And as always, we would love it if you shared this recipe with your family and friends. Over to the side on this post and all of the others are handy dandy share buttons. We would sure be grateful if you shared the love!
- 1 pound Lean Ground Beef
- 1 can, rinsed Black Beans
- 1, diced Tomato
- 3-4, diced Green Onions
- 1-2 cups cooked Rice
- ½ cup, shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon Chili powder
- ½ cup Taco Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 1-2 shakes Hot Sauce
- ½ cup Olive OIl
- Simply prepare your meat and vegetables for the tacos as normal. I use a home made taco seasoning that is super easy to prepare.
- After the meat is cooked, drain and place all ingredients in a large bowl individually for serving. I like to make a bowl in the bowl with rice and add my ingredients on top.
- Sprinkle with cheese and add some of this home made dressing. Also optional.
- For the dressing:Mix all dry ingredients together and add taco sauce, vinegar, hot sauce and drizzle olive oil in while whisking. Dress your salad with a bit of this for an added kick of flavor.
- For the home made Taco seasoning Mix 2 tablespoons chili powder with 1 & ½ teaspoons smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon each of garlic, onion powders, salt and pepper. You may add ¼ teaspoon of red pepper flakes if you would like. I generally use about a tablespoon and a half for 1 pound of meat.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 340Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 47mgSodium 244mgCarbohydrates 30gFiber 2gSugar 17gProtein 16g
**Nutritional Values are estimates only