Homemade Turkey Lasagna is a versatile and delicious recipe. We show you some yummy shortcuts as well as how to make this a little healthier. Lasagna Reinvented!
As I said before, any southern girl knows that having an arsenal of different types of signature recipes is a must! Italian food is some of the best and easiest too! For you today, we've put together our take on Lasagna. Made with lean, ground turkey and our very own Homemade Marinara Sauce , this Italian favorite is so good you will never buy frozen lasagna again!
Our original recipe uses Barilla oven ready lasagna noodles and can certainly be used here. When we chose to update this recipe we thought we would show you how to make this dish really healthy so we roasted some eggplant in place of the pasta! Here is what we did!
We sliced one large eggplant with our mandolin slicer to about ¼ of and inch thick. Placed the slices on a slightly greased sheet pan and brushed them with a little olive oil , salt and pepper. We baked them at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, checking often and turning once half way through cooking time. Allowed them to cool to be safe for handling.
How to Make It
Lasagna is easy. You just assemble and bake. Using really good ingredients is key to a perfect homemade lasagna every time. If you wanted a lazy way to get the same result, our BEEF PASTA BAKE, is easy and really just as good.
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon Basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 & ⅛ cup grated mozzarella for mixture
- 1 & ⅛ cup grated parmesan for mixture
- 1 egg
- 2- 3 cups low sugar Marinara sauce
- 1 large eggplant, sliced and roasted
Brown and drain the sausage and turkey. Return to pan and add sauce. In a separate bowl, mix the cream cheese, cottage cheese, parsley seasonings, other ⅛ cup of cheeses and egg together. Mix well.
To assemble, begin with a layer of sauce in a greased pan. Next, layer in your eggplant slices. For regular lasagna use Barilla Oven ready noodles. Next add another layer of meat sauce and then spread the cheese mixture. Topping with more Mozzarella and Parmesan.
Repeat one to two more times, as space will permit. Making your final layer be topped with meat sauce and grated cheeses only. Here you can cover with plastic wrap and 2 layers of foil and freeze or simply cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake uncovered another 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melty and browned. Let stand 10-15 minutes, cut and serve.
Yes, the amount will be the same and mixing also will not be any different. Ricotta is thicker in consistency so you may not need the cream cheese if you do use.
You can make this ahead of time. It will keep in the fridge for a week. If you make ahead to freeze, allow to cool completely and cover with plastic wrap and foil. It should last 2 to 3 months in the freezer
Everything in it is cooked already. You are simply heating up and melting the cheeses. Even if you use the oven ready noodles, the cook time is still the same. Covering to cook traps the heat and steam and allows for more uniform cooking in less time.
If you make this recipe, be sure and post it to Facebook or Instagram and tag us. We love pictures of food. Also, if you pin this recipe, we would appreciate that when you make it, you use the Made It function in Pinterest too.
And as always, we would love it if you shared this recipe with your family and friends. Over to the side on this post and all of the others are handy dandy share buttons. We would sure be grateful if you shared the love!
Homemade Turkey Lasagna
- 1 pound Ground Turkey cooked and drained
- 1 pound Turkey Italian Sausage cooked and drained
- 1 cup soft light Cream Cheese
- 1 cup light Cottage Cheese
- 1 & ⅛ cup grated Mozzarella cheese
- 1 & ⅛ cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Egg
- 2-3 cups low sugar Marinara
- Basil Oregano, Parsley, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 large eggplant sliced and roasted
- Slice one large eggplant with a mandolin slicer to about ¼ of and inch thick. Placed the slices on a
slightly greased sheet pan and brush them with a little olive oil , salt and pepper. Bake them at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, checking often and turning once, half way through cooking time. Remove from oven and allow to cool to be safe for handling.
- Brown and drain the sausage and turkey. Return to pan and add sauce. Mix the cream cheese, cottage cheese, parsley and seasonings, ⅛ cup of cheeses and egg together in a bowl.
- To assemble, begin with a layer of sauce in a greased pan. Next, layer in eggplant slices. Next layer another layer of meat sauce and then spread the cheese mixture, topping with more Mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Repeat one to two more times, as space will permit. Making your final layer be topped with meat sauce and grated cheeses only.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake uncovered another 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melty and browned. Let stand 10-15 minutes, cut and serve.